Congratulations on booking your boudoir photography session!
It's going to be an amazing experience! One of the keys to success is bringing a proper wardrobe with you that is not only beautiful,
but flatters your body as well.
Here is a cheat sheet that will help you shop and know what to bring with you to your session. I hope you find it helpful!
Please feel free to email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions.
Quick List of Lingerie Styles
Bra + Panty Sets
There are so many different options out there for sexy bra/panty sets out there. When shopping for these, proper fit is extremely important. Be careful of extreme push up bras as they often make you look unnatural. Make sure the area near your armpit looks nice and smooth and you are not coming out of the cups. That makes it more flattering in camera. I *HIGHLY* recommend being fitted before your session, proper fit is so important! If you are local to us, visit Northwest Bras in Sequim (kindest ladies ever and super helpful with fitting, plus 10% off for our babes!).
Bodysuits + Teddies
These are close fitting garments and are SO flattering! These are similar to one-piece swimsuits, but can be more sheer and are so much sexier! Bodysuits are super in right now, so there are a lot that are considered 'clothing', but are super sexy for boudoir! Wear them with or without a bra underneath. If a piece is too sheer, consider layering matching high waisted undies over.
Shape wear is a type of tight-fitting underwear intended to control and shape the figure. There are many beautiful options out there these days. Look for black, sexy, body skimming pieces. High waisted, black, shape wear undies are my favorite! Pair them with a sexy bra, or top less. Throw on some black fish nets with them and you've got a bad ass sexy look!
(Note: not the shapewear that are meant to be hidden, but styles that flatter and are also pleasing to the eye).
Clothing is a fantastic option for boudoir! It might sound counterintuitive but think about a hot leather jacket; ripped jeans and a sexy bra; off the shoulder sweaters; a sheer T-shirt; a cute flannel or button up thrown over a bra. There are so many options for clothing that can be just as sexy, if not sexier than lingerie.
Other lingerie types and random bits of advice
There are so many other types of lingerie or clothing you can wear too! The many thing to think about when planning your session wardrobe- FIT.
Our goal during your shoot is to flatter you, always. Stay away from loose, flow pieces (babydolls, night gowns, etc) as they add bulk to your frame.
Now that you know a little more about the different styles, read below and determine which is the best for you!
Want to show off those hard earned abs and a little more skin? Bra and panty sets are a great option. Things to think about are the style of panty you choose (the amount of coverage) and what type of bra suits you best. I know its tempting to pull out a bra you might wear every day – but try to look for something a little sexier, special. Something that is meant to be seen!
Is your chest your trouble area? So you have had a baby, or lost some weight, etc… and you may feel you need some lift in the breast department. I know most women are tempted to go straight for push up bras… but resist the urge. Before you try on push-ups, look for demi cup bras, or underwire bras that offer strong support without adding too much size. This is typically more flattering proportion wise. Good support is more important than padding any day. This is not to say that there aren’t some good push up bras out there, just be really aware of how any bra fits and flatters. Also important to note here: GET FITTED. I will say this time and time again, but it makes such a big difference!
If a great booty shot is on your list, I recommend bottoms that show just enough, but not too much. I prefer cheeky or Brazilian bottoms over thongs. Many teddies and body suits are cut in the back to show off some tush. Those are a great option too! (beware of string teddies though – they don’t always flatter!)
Legs Legs Legs – lots of options… We all want long gorgeous legs. Here are a couple of tips for that! Look for high cut undies, teddies, bodysuits. The higher the leg opening the longer your legs will look. Also bring a pair of skin colored shoes with you. That will make your legs look even longer than they are.
How to do coverage, correctly...
Even though boudoir is about shedding layers, I do understand many women don’t want to show too much skin or
they are concerned about parts of their body that they might not want to show off.
Here are some tips to cover, boudoir style.
- Worried about your tummy? If you are worried about showing your stomach think of shapewear (the gorgeous kind! Not the kind that hurts!), Slips, bustiers and bodysuits. A beautiful lace robe over a bra and underwear is a great choice. So is a plain white tank top or a fun tee with lacy undies.
- Scars or stretchmarks? If you have some stretch marks or scars look for some more opaque materials, but stick with a style that will still show off your shape – like a bodysuit or a slip. The worst thing you can do is hide behind a lot of fabric – like a babydoll for example. It will make you look heavy. We want to see your gorgeous shape no matter what you wear or how covered you are.
- Not in love with your arms? Arms are sometimes a concern for women (I personally struggle with this, totally get it!). Let’s ease your worries! Look for long sleeved body suits, a vintage band tee, or throw a crisp white button down over some killer lingerie. Presto - no worry needed. We have some great pieces at the studio for this too!
If heels are you thing, bring at least one pair of black and one skin colored heel with you.
No ankle straps please, as they can visually 'cut' your legs, or disrupt the length.
If you want to bring more shoes, fantastic!! Just keep in mind, the higher the heel – the better!!
Feel free to bring any jewelry you might want to wear.
I can help you choose what looks nice with your outfit and what will flatter depending on the poses that we are going to work with.
Because you'll be laying down, be sure to bring stud earrings too (if you wear them normally).
I suggest cleaning pieces you're bringing too!
You might want to bring a prop or two to show off your interests and personality,
just be careful that it doesn’t get too costume like. Less is always more.
I caution you to be careful with props. It's so easy to use them as a 'mask', or something to hide behind.
Please email me before your session to let me know what props you're bringing, not all props will be able to be used. (email@example.com).
Most colors work really well in camera. Some that do not include fluorescent colors and sometimes red and turquoise.
If you like red, look for a deeper red – something not too bright. Black is always classic and looks great on everyone.
Where to Shop
- Northwest Bras: Port Angeles & Sequim area ladies, I highly suggest Northwest Bras in Sequim! They are a lovely, incredibly knowledgeable group AND they're graciously offering our girls 10% off purchases. Just mention that you're shopping for your boudoir session with me to receive your discount.
- Torrid: This is a fabulous place to shop if you're curvy or plus sized! Try in store (closest location is Silverdale) or online at www.torrid.com
- Asos: So many fun options for all sizes! www.asos.com
- Forever 21: Super well priced and lots of beautiful options, they have great options for all sizes (be sure to check their bodysuits out!). They have a much larger selection online than in store. www.forever21.com
- Victoria's Secret: We can't leave Vicky out! Keep in mind that VS is geared more towards xs-l (such a shame!). www.victoriasecret.com
- Boohoo.com: Bodysuits, bras and more at pretty great prices, I'm obsessed with them! Boohoo has all sizes and a great variety for each size! www.boohoo.com
- Agent Provocateur: So think of this site as the go big or go home lingerie shop. They're expensive... but so stunning. Sizes run about the same as Victoria Secret. http://www.agentprovocateur.com/us_en
Always bring more outfits with you than you plan to wear, this way we have options!
I also recommend bringing at least one outfit totally out of your comfort zone.
You don’t have to wear it, but you just might want to!